We are very excited to be hosting Battle of the Books here at Freedom. This is a great opportunity for students and their friends to read award-winning books and have fun competing with classmates.
What is Battle of the Books? Here are the basics:
- Participation is voluntary, and there is no cost to families. (BOB T-shirts are not required.)
- Each team will be made up of 5 fourth or fifth grade students from the same grade.
- Each team member will need to return a signed permission slip to participate in Battle of the Books. Permission slips were due to Mrs. Heiser in November.
- Completed permission slips must be returned to the Media Center with the other members of your team—you sign up as a TEAM. Have an agreed-upon team name!
- Each team will be given a set of 5 different books. Each of the 5 titles is one of the Rebecca Caudill or Bluestem nominees or an otherwise recognized award book.
- Each member of the team will become an expert on one of the books by reading it two or more times.
- The competition will be a series of detail questions about the 5 selected titles.
- Teams will have from mid-November through the end of January to read the books.
- The competitions will be held at Freedom during the school day at the beginning of February. (Competition dates will be determined and communicated as we get closer.)
- Optional recess book discussions will be held according to a schedule (coming soon).
- If you have questions, email Mrs. Heiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare to do battle, Freedom!